Friday 28 September 2012

"I am Sowmiya The Great"


I met Sowmiya in Chennai when I went to watch the play "Aanmayo Aanmay" directed by Mangai. The play was yet to begin in Spaces, a wonderful threatre in Besant Nagar. We were just hanging around meeting many friends. Somwiya was also around and I met her. She spoke and I too spoke. 

 
I went to Chennai again to do the video interviews and Srijith our friend and a theatre director of the group Kattiyakkari reintroduced Sowmiya to us. And this is "Sowmiya the great". She is my age. Initially she said that she has training in beauty parlor work. Later we came to know that she is an actor too and has acted in some plays.   

Talking about her work as a beautician she said that because she is a transgender person many people refuse to avail her services and so it is difficult for her to work in a mainstream beauty parlor. She then started going to people's houses to give beautician services. Mangai and friends like Mangai call her home to get services. But that is not enough for her livelihood. She has the strength to keep trying and trying to establish herself as a beautician.  After she acted in a play called "Molagapodi" of the Kattiyakkari group, which got staged in many places, people started recognizing her and came to know that she is a beautician. And now many people call her for beautician work. I wish her all the best in her acting and in her career.

































































































No comments:

Post a Comment