Saturday 22 September 2012

Questioning Gender


Taejha, our dear friend and an artist who is exploring Dance as an art beyond genders. There are very few people and very few artists who bring in the politics of body, genders and sexuality in art forms. Only a few artists like Taejha are able to critique the patriarchal systems and gender restrictions on both sides (how women should dance and how men should dance) in arts like dance.

Taejha in 2011 Bangalore pride performed at the Mela and immediately my many friends and I just flocked around Taejha after performance. Taejha's body and dance movements just broke many gender rules that we could generally see in traditional art forms like Bharathanatyam and Mohini Attam. Taejha presented a piece in Mohini Attam (predominantly a woman's perfomance) and that body of Taejha expressed so many shades of genders.

When I planned my trip to Tamil Nadu for video interviews I was very doubtful if I could get Taejha's interview.  In moment of total confusion of schedule of interviews Taejha agreed for the interview and it was wonderful to spend time with Taejha. I sincerely wish Taejha continues this very interesting and questioning gender in dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment